Labels

Friday, August 15, 2014

Reckless by Priscilla West


*Copy provided By Netgalley for a review* 

    Rating: 3 Stars
    Recommend: Depends on the person. 

    Synopsis: Everything about him warned me to stay away.
I’d seen bad boys before, but he had it all and more. The rippling muscles covered in tatts, the piercing eyes hiding dark secrets, the silky voice that could make a girl come with just a whisper . . . 
He was exactly the type of guy that would get me in trouble, but when he jumped off the stage, inked skin glistening with sweat and breathed his seductive words into my ear, I couldn’t resist the temptation.

It was supposed to be the best one-night stand of my life, but fate didn’t let it play out that way. Things happened. I got upset. I got hasty. And worst of all, I got reckless.
After that disaster, I thought it was the last I’d see of him. But what I didn’t know was that I’d started something.
Something that could shatter the very thing I had worked so hard to protect.

I should have known back then that the most seductive things in life are also the most dangerous.


   Review: I liked this book.... kind of, it was a typical New Adult romance except it was set on tour rather than in a college. The story follows kinda wild/kinda not accountant Riley, who after encountering a rock star in a bar and giving him blue balls, ends up as his bands tour accountant for two weeks. Jax is your typical NA romantic hero, he's covered in tattoos, sleeps around and is in a band but he, as always, has a sweet side that can love. Riley tried to fight the connection they have in an effort to remain professional, but it just doesn't work. There wasn't anything particularly wrong with this book, it was more of a whole book issue. I found it very difficult to connect to any of the characters... they felt flat and under developed to me, but since there is a part two coming out i'm hoping that will fix the underdevelopment for me. I just felt this book lacked any spark, most of the time i read a book i feel a spark, like i too am falling in love with the characters, but i felt nothing at all with this book and that sucked because i was really looking forward to this read. I feel like West missed an opportunity to write a really great and kind of unique NA Romance but she totally missed the mark and wasted such a great plot.

   What I Liked: To be honest with you, there wasn't so much i explicitly liked, i more or less just tolerated most of it. The romance was okay, they were cute. Jax was an okay character, i didn't feel any attraction to him but maybe that's just because i didn't exactly understand him as a character. The sex scenes (or you know, singular sex scene) was hot... so that was a plus (Also, that damn hot tub scene, WOW). I loved the bands name, "The Hitchcocks" and Jax's love of the old Hitchcock films, that's the only thing i think i could connect with him on.  I did like the end, it has me intrigued so i'll be reading the second one, if the end hadn't happened i wouldn't be continuing with the second part, but now i need to know what goes down. At least Riley wasn't a complete airhead, in the beginning that is, i loved her snark and her doing her own thing but that faded out as soon as she got together with Jax.

   What I Didn't Like: You didn't see the rest of the band often, which considering they shared a tour bus is really hard to believe. The constant pot smoking when you did see them just totally turned me off to them, especially Chewie, who clearly has a problem. I didn't understand Riley and Jax's connection, i didn't see it at all and i don't know why but i just... didn't. Riley got so CLINGY  at the end, oh my god she was about to go beg Jax for another chance because she 'loves' him,  like girl please you've known him for a week you need to cool it down. Riley's personality, how ever small the change, changed once she got together with Jax and that really annoyed me, she turned into a love sick puppy and i almost DNF because that pissed me off beyond belief. 

No comments:

Post a Comment