Labels

Thursday, January 8, 2015

Review: Dare You To by Katie McGarry

                                                               
                                          Rating: 4/5 Stars
                                          Publication Date: May 28th 2013

   
     Synopsis: If anyone knew the truth about Beth Risk's home life, they'd send her mother to jail and seventeen-year-old Beth who knows where. So she protects her mom at all costs. Until the day her uncle swoops in and forces Beth to choose between her mom's freedom and her own happiness. That's how Beth finds herself living with an aunt who doesn't want her and going to a school that doesn't understand her. At all. Except for the one guy who shouldn't get her, but does....

Ryan Stone is the town golden boy, a popular baseball star jock-with secrets he can't tell anyone. Not even the friends he shares everything with, including the constant dares to do crazy things. The craziest? Asking out the Skater girl who couldn't be less interested in him.

But what begins as a dare becomes an intense attraction neither Ryan nor Beth expected. Suddenly, the boy with the flawless image risks his dreams-and his life-for the girl he loves, and the girl who won't let anyone get too close is daring herself to want it all....

     Review: To Start off, it took me awhile to really start to like this book. Beth was probably my least favorite character in Pushing The Limits, so to say i was kind of dreading this book was an understatement. The book follows Beth after some stuff goes down with her mother and her mothers abusive boyfriend, she's sent to live with her uncle who abandoned her when she was a kid. It's in Groverton she starts to see what she is worth more than she thought and that she does deserve to be happy. Ryan, the male lead was such a nice guy and I totally fell for him like Beth did. Ryan has a messed up life too, his parents control him and don't even acknowledge his older brother exists after he came out. This book wasn't as heavy as the one prior, at least in my opinion Echo is still the one with the most messed up back story. Speaking of her, I loved that  we saw Noah and Echo in this book and so glad to see them still totally in love with each other since they are one of my all time book otp's. I found Beth to be overly negative an pretty annoying throughout the whole book. To me, she was too hung up on the past and did nothing but push Ryan away, I'm surprised he didn't give up... I admire him for that. Beth also kept returning to her mother no matter how much she hurt her, she literally told her she hated her, wtf??? This wasn't my favorite but I still liked it a lot considering Katie wrote it and it got better towards the tail end, but I expected it because it was about Beth.
    As for Isaiah, I know they needed some kind of closure for the whole "he loves her" thing but I believe it was poorly done, Isaiah wouldn't have given up as easily as he did... He knew he didn't love Beth, not the way he believed. I'm glad that the next book is about him finding love because i felt really bad for him after this one. I assume since Beth has given up her previous life we won't see her in the next book which i'm upset about because i'd really like to see if her and Ryan work out in the long run. I feel like more could have happened in this book but none the less i enjoyed it and for sure will be continuing the series in the near future! 

No comments:

Post a Comment